Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Values At Work

We all have values, whether we know it or not. Values in this case are defined as enduring beliefs or ideals held by groups or individuals that guide us in differentiating what is right and wrong about our behaviors. Values are influential in guiding actions and outcomes.

Values are interesting to me. Its one of those things that everyone has but few stop to examine. They are always present but not always explicit. Becoming aware of the values that guide us in our decision-making and behaviors is essential work. We can only truly understand our motivations when we understand our values.

Leaders cannot dictate values and parents and teachers cannot mandate them. We learn them from our culture. We learn what is acceptable by seeing how others behave. When I am new or uncertain about those around me behaving the same way they do makes me feel safe.

We also must always beware of professed values. People and organizations like to lay claim to high standards driven by noble idealized values. When carefully scrutinized they often do not hold up. That is to say that lots of groups and individuals espouse certain beliefs but when their actions are closely examined, what they say they do, is not really what they do.

As a manager I learned long ago that my employees would demonstrate every behavior I did, good and bad. Parents tell me the same thing happens with their kids. (My mother really used to seriously say “do as I say, not as I do” and it didn’t work.) You can tell me what to do but if you don’t do it, I don’t have to either. In hierarchical situations when I demonstrate the same behaviors you do, how will you ever tell me what I do is wrong?

Sadly people in influential positions who are unaware of their values, or who have chosen values not in the best interest of those they represent do untold damage. Currently in our culture greed is the most common example of this. When leaders of our country practice greed (or any other negative action or vice) we are given permission to do the same.

If we are interested in positively influencing others with values we must demonstrate personal integrity by aligning our values with our actions. Minimizing the difference between what I say I value and taking actions that are visibly driven by those values makes me a better person by increasing my personal integrity.

Early in my teens I was required to memorize the Scout Law and often use it as an example of enduring values. It reads:

A Scout is:
Trustworthy
Loyal
Helpful
Friendly
Courteous
Kind
Obedient
Cheerful
Thrifty
Brave
Clean
Reverent

Though I have had difficulty with some of them (obedient, clean and reverent come to mind) and have always thought that “fairness” was missing, one could do a lot worse than try and live by these values.

Others will come to know us by our values. They will know if we were kind and considerate, generous and truthful. We will be remembered for our loyalty and our integrity, our hard work and our sense of humor. We will be known for these, not because of saying that this is who we are, but by taking actions that demonstrate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment