Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Path is Service

What are you after? Enlightenment? Salvation? Redemption? Renewal? The path is through service to others. The following is just a small sampling of quotes on this topic.

Through the practice of love and service to all life, it is possible to alleviate suffering, while awakening to a higher awareness of why we are here - Ram Dass

Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.- Albert Einstein

I don't know what your destiny will be, but one thing I do know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who have sought and found how to serve- Albert Schiwetzer

Giving frees us from the familiar territory of our own needs by opening our mind to the unexplained worlds occupied by the needs of others.- Barbara Bush

Kindness in words creates confidence.Kindness in thinking creates profundity.Kindness in giving creates love. – Lao-Tzu

Everybody can be great... because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love. – Martin Luther King

The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others. – Ghandi

I've come to believe that each of us has a personal calling that's as unique as a fingerprint - and that the best way to succeed is to discover what you love and then find a way to offer it to others in the form of service, working hard, and also allowing the energy of the universe to lead you – Oprah

I can only add that my own personal journey and the successes I have realized along the way are a direct result of giving, not taking but giving.

I was raised in a family of people who little but gave lots. We were always volunteering, always active in our community. It was part of our tradition. We were westerners taking care of each other was how we survived on the frontier.

When I was young I didn’t know it but there was a larger truth about the giving. When you were lost you could find yourself by stopping what you were doing that made you feel lost and do the work that was in front of you. Sometimes that meant cleaning the old neighbor ladies yard, or helping with the school carnival, or maybe joining in as a boy scout to do good deeds. Something better always came from service, from doing from sharing from giving as selflessly as possible.

In my role as consultant, and leader I find that I am attracted to those who serve others. I work with non-profit boards and government agencies. My focus is work groups that serve a specified need.

I was once told by and entrepreneur that getting a lot of money was how you knew you were winning. I didn’t believe him and still don’t. I really don’t believe in life as winning and losing, I can’t fathom keeping score, I can only understand giving my best in service of others and live in joy and gratitude with come back to me in return. Sometimes its money, or enlightenment, even redemption and salvation have been my rewards. Mostly though its the fulfillment of my unshakeable faith that one person makes a difference and that we all have some responsibility in make the world a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment